Drake performed a show at the Ogden in Denver for his Away From Home Tour. Westword compiled a list of things that Drake loves. Find out what they are!
- 1. Free Weezy His DJ played a bunch of Lil Wayne to get the crowd going (it worked) and every other piece of banter out of Drake’s mouth was about Wayne and then the chants came early and often. You know that part of “Best I Ever Had” where Drake talks about how this is the sort of song you have to dedicate to that special somebody? Yeah, he dedicated it to Free Weezy.
- 2. Women Let’s get this straight: Drake loves the ladies. And they love him — there was a much higher ratio of women to men than usual at this show, and almost all of them, ahem, dressed to impress.
- 3. Vulnerability Drake told a story about the last time he was in Denver: Apparently, it was the third time he’d ever talked to Lil Wayne, and they had some chicks back on the bus. Drake went to Denny’s to get a milkshake and then threw up all over the place. “It was the first time Lil Wayne saw me throw up,” he said. (That happen often?) It is well documented that Drake is a particularly emo rapper. His music is full of inner torture. He clearly enjoys the being on stage part, but when he’s singing or rapping, it still looks like some sort of painful vigil.
- 4. Women Seriously, guys: Drake loves the ladies. At one point he brought a girl on stage. He started slow dancing with her in a manner best described as freshman homecoming dance. Then he asked her age and… 17! He told her he couldn’t go to prison before his album dropped (this, by the way, is the only way Drake could potentially wind up in prison — he’s about as street as I am, which is to say not at all). Then he told her that he liked the way her breasts felt against his chest. He also kissed her, twice on the cheeks and once on the lips. It was…weird.
- 5. Who/What He’s Repping An incomplete list of Drake’s shout-outs: Lil Wayne (of course), Young Money, Roc-A-Fella, Tupac, Biggie, Aaliyah, Gucci Mane, James Naismith and Thomas Edison. The biggest factor in Drake’s colossal success to this point is the company he keeps. The second biggest factor is…
- 6. Women Yep, again. Drake wasted no chance to tell us that he is currently single and ready to mingle. He took probably ten minutes with the house lights up to go through singling out girls one by one. He saw a girl whom he met at the airport. She had to remind him, and he said, “My heart recognized you.” So yeah. See #3.
- 7. The Paradox of Celebrity Other than women, there are two topics in Drake songs: The first is how he wants to be super rich and successful, and the second is how he hates being super rich and successful. Works for Kanye, I guess.
- 8. Women Drake described what he’s looking for in a woman. It goes like this: He wants someone to tell him he had a good show, cook him some chicken noodle soup and rub his back. In return, he will give massages and your option of pleasuring/going to bed.
- 9. Self Awareness Much of Drake’s rapping is inane garbage. There’s no point making a huge deal out of this, however, because he’ll be the first to admit it. In one lyric, he actually encourages you not to listen closely to his verses. No matter. His appeal has little to do with rapping anyway. And forget trying to pretend like he’s a thug. One of his best lines, for so many reasons: “I avoided the coke game and went with Sprite instead.”
- 10. Women Why yes, women accounted for half of a list of things Drake loves. Below is a picture of his microphone stand.
Can you spot a pattern? :)